- cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough and sneeze
- instruct children to cough on their sleeves and not on their hands to decrease transfer of the virus
- do not leave used tissue all over the place, instruct minors to throw this in the trash can
- wash hands after coughing or sneezing with soap or water or any available hand sanitizers
- avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth
- if you are sick try to say home from work or school and limit contact with others. Make sure you stay at home till you are fever free for 24 hours without any fever-reducing .
If you suspect your child has influenza. Call your pediatrician.
Persons diagnosed with swine influenza are contagious for up to 7 days following the onset of the illness and this could be longer if the symptoms are persistent or has not resolved.